Breaking: Nick Saban hires Kevin Steele
Posted by: Pete Roussel on February 12, 2013
CoachingSearch.com has learned that veteran coach Kevin Steele will join Nick Saban's staff at Alabama in an off-the-field capacity.
Steele did not coach in 2012.
He previously served as the defensive coordinator at Clemson under Dabo Swinney from 2009-2011.
Steele served under Nick Saban in 2007 and 2008 at Alabama. His previous coaching experience includes stints at Florida State, Baylor (head coach), Carolina Panthers, Nebraska, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, and New Mexico State.
It is believed that Steele will serve in a player personnel role.
Earlier this off-season, Saban hired former Colorado defensive backs coach Greg Burns to replace Jeremy Pruitt. The Crimson Tide have also lost a number of quality control assistants.
Kevin Garver joined the Arizona Cardinals staff, Russ Callaway joined the Murray State staff, and Kelvin Sigler accepted the defensive backs job at Northern Illinois.
Stay tuned to the Coaching Search Ticker.
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Al Borges: 'People don't understand the value of a failed play'
- College football off-season studies
- Michigan State AD: Hiring Dantonio was 'scientific' not just 'I like that guy'
- 100 days until college football
- South Carolina football nails season-ticket promo
- Clemson releases hype video 100 days from opener
- Ed Cunningham: I would have trashed that coach on social media
- Dan Mullen: I'm more worried about winning than the number of games
- 100 days out: Butch Jones delivers video message to the Vol nation
- Oklahoma schools partner for tornado recovery shirt