Jeff Long denies rumor of Bobby Petrino returning in 2013
Posted by: Pete Roussel on June 29, 2012
Someone, somewhere in the state of Arkansas believes Bobby Petrino is going to return as the Razorbacks head coach after sitting out this upcoming season.
The rumor has spread so much that reporter Matt Turner asked Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long point blank about the news.
In fact, Long has not talked with Petrino at all since his dismissal.
"I have not. I have not," said Long.
Will the two speak at some point?
Long explained, "Yeah, I think the ball's in his court from my point of view and I'm sure he's dealing with lots of emotional things, and again, the most important thing is for him to focus on his family and get his life situated -- and I get all that."
Although it would surprise me to see Petrino land another head coaching job in major college football, don't count out Petrino surfacing in the NFL as a quarterbacks coach or offensive coordinator at some point down the road.
Here's a look at the Arkansas coaching staff heading into the 2012 season.
Recent articles on CoachingSearch.com
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kentucky assistant Jimmy Brumbaugh: If a player believes in me...
- Rich Rod feels the Wildcats have a hard edge
- Gary Andersen: Every magazine is going to be talking about Wisconsin
- Photo: Kliff Kingsbury's new office painting is awesome
- Marvin Lewis talks red zone efficiency
- NC State ticket promo video: This is our State
- Tom Jurich explains what he wants in a Louisville coach
- Dabo Swinney: 'That's all people talk about'
- Matt Campbell: Look at returning snaps, not starters
- Auburn assistant Tim Horton believes the Tigers aren't as far off as you think