Steve Addazio takes Boston College job
|Written by Chris Vannini|
Posted by: Chris Vannini on December 4, 2012
Steve Addazio is moving up the East Coast.
On Tuesday, Boston College announced the former Temple head coach as its new head coach. Although he doesn't have any experience at BC, Addazio has plenty of ties to the region.
He was born in Connecticut and played at Central Connecticut. As an assistant coach, he spent time at Western Connecticut and Syracuse before a four-year stint at Notre Dame. He then moved to Indiana for three years before six years at Florida, where he won two national championships working with Urban Meyer's offense. He has spent most of his time as an assistant coach working with the offensive line.
He took the Temple job in 2011 - his first head coaching job. The Owls went 9-4 in his first season, but stumbled to 4-7 record in 2012. With conference realignment shifting the Big East, the Owls are set to stay in the questionable Big East.
Right after announcing the hire, BC athletic director Brad Bates expressed his thoughts on his Twitter account.
"Coach Addazio genuinely cares about his students and will facilitate their development in meaningful ways to creat a family culture... He has a passion that is contagious and an energy that will motivate those fortunate to meet him... He is a proven winner with an extensive history of success as an assistant and head coach that includes two national championships... We are very excited to have Steve Addazio leading BC football and look forward to an extraordinary future."
Addazio replaces Frank Spaziani, who went 8-5 in his first season at BC in 2009, but whose record got worse each season, culminating with a 2-10 season this year.
Chris Vannini is the lead writer for CoachingSearch.com and has covered Michigan State sports for The State News, The Oakland Press and MLive.com. He writes a weekly column for the Detroit Free Press on behalf of SB Nation. Vannini lives in Big Ten country, so his foot speed is far from SEC caliber, but his pulse on coaches is hard to match. Be sure to follow @CoachingBuzz on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Photo: Jaguars release rendering of stadium enhancement
- Twitter code words are the latest social media trend
- Tom Herman hopes to use Dana Holgorsen's diamond formation
- Brady Hoke: The SEC isn't the only conference with good football
- Does Erik Spoelstra feel lucky to have a Game 7?
- Scott Frost: When Chip Kelly left, this team could have run itself
- Al Golden: 'There are great days ahead'
- NCAA grants waiver to Ole Miss assistant to monitor throwing mechanics of injured QB
- Finebaum: Johnny Manziel is trending towards becoming a punch line
- Does an experienced offensive line lead to success?