Breaking: Mark Stoops hires a coordinator
Posted by: Pete Roussel on December 3, 2012
Sources have informed CoachingSearch.com that Florida State defensive ends coach D.J. Eliot has accepted the defensive coordinator job at Kentucky.
Eliot worked the last three seasons with Mark Stoops.
The Seminoles allowed 15 ppg (7th nationally) and just 253 total yards per game, second best in the nation.
Before joining Jimbo Fisher's staff in Tallahassee, Eliot served as the defensive line / recruiting coordinator at Rice for three seasons.
He has also coached at Tulsa and Texas State. As a grad assistant, he coached at Miami (FL), Houston, and Wyoming.
A lot of people think Mark Stoops may target Texas Tech offensive coordinator / quarterback coach Neal Brown as his offensive coordinator.
Stoops wants to build this program on defense. It will be interesting to see if he chooses an offensive coordinator that likes to play up-tempo. Chances are, he won't.
I am told Stoops has not decided on which route he will go on the offensive side of the ball.
Stay tuned to the Coaching Search Ticker.
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Carolina football nails season-ticket promo
- Clemson releases hype video 100 days from opener
- Ed Cunningham: I would have trashed that coach on social media
- Dan Mullen: I'm more worried about winning than the number of games
- 100 days out: Butch Jones delivers video message to the Vol nation
- Oklahoma schools partner for tornado recovery shirt
- Indiana posts teaser video for… something
- Ron Jaworski: I don't think Chip Kelly's offense will work in the NFL
- Photo: Northwestern's Gator Bowl championship ring
- Bill O'Brien explains motivation for Penn State football in 2013