Tom O'Brien dismissed at NC State
|Written by Chris Vannini|
Posted by: Chris Vannini on November 25, 2012
After six seasons, Tom O'Brien will not return as head coach at NC State, the school announced Sunday.
The Wolfpack went 7-5 this season and will reach their third straight bowl game — the fourth in five seasons — but offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Dana Bible will lead the team for the bowl game. O'Brien went 40-35 over those six seasons, including a 22-26 mark in the ACC.
His contract runs through Dec. 2015, and he will be paid at least $1.2 million over the next three years, according to the The News & Observer.
Since the start of the 2010 season, the Wolfpack went 24-14. O'Brien was also one of two coaches in school history to beat North Carolina five straight times before a loss this season, but it wasn't enough to keep his job.
The 64-year-old took over NC State after 10 seasons at Boston College. Coincidentally, his final game at NC State was a win over the Eagles.
Stay tuned to the Coaching Search Ticker for updates on the NC State job.
Recent articles on CoachingSearch.com
Chris Vannini is the lead writer for CoachingSearch.com and has covered Michigan State sports for The State News, The Oakland Press and MLive.com. He writes a weekly column for the Detroit Free Press on behalf of SB Nation. Vannini lives in Big Ten country, so his foot speed is far from SEC caliber, but his pulse on coaches is hard to match. Be sure to follow @CoachingBuzz on twitter and send your feedback to email@example.com
- Al Borges: 'People don't understand the value of a failed play'
- College football off-season studies
- Michigan State AD: Hiring Dantonio was 'scientific' not just 'I like that guy'
- 100 days until college football
- South Carolina football nails season-ticket promo
- Clemson releases hype video 100 days from opener
- Ed Cunningham: I would have trashed that coach on social media
- Dan Mullen: I'm more worried about winning than the number of games
- 100 days out: Butch Jones delivers video message to the Vol nation
- Oklahoma schools partner for tornado recovery shirt