Colorado assistant: You don't coach scared. Everybody is hired to be fired.
Posted by: Pete Roussel on November 24, 2012
Colorado head coach Jon Embree wrapped up his second season leading the Buffaloes on Saturday.
With the 42-35 loss to Utah, Embree is now 4-21 in two seasons. Colorado finished 1-11 this season, so obviously there the pressure is mounting.
While Embree seemed confident after Saturday's game that he'll return for a third season, offensive coordinator / running backs coach Eric Bieniemy took a different tune.
Bieniemy told The Daily Camera, "Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. You don't coach this game scared. Everybody is hired to be fired. I'm going to keep working my ass off and being who I am. If they decide to go in a different direction, that's what we do. I know who I am and I know what I'm about."
"You're always disappointed. This is a production-driven industry. You're measured by wins and losses and obviously if you're not winning, then hey, you've always got to take a look at self."
Bieniemy's total compensation is 2011 was $630,000. If terminated, Colorado would owe Bieniemy a total of $250,000.
Defensive coordinator Greg Brown is also under pressure.
The Buffaloes, heading into Saturday's game against Utah, were ranked 120th nationally in scoring offense and scoring defense.
Recent articles on CoachingSearch.com
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Al Borges: 'People don't understand the value of a failed play'
- College football off-season studies
- Michigan State AD: Hiring Dantonio was 'scientific' not just 'I like that guy'
- 100 days until college football
- South Carolina football nails season-ticket promo
- Clemson releases hype video 100 days from opener
- Ed Cunningham: I would have trashed that coach on social media
- Dan Mullen: I'm more worried about winning than the number of games
- 100 days out: Butch Jones delivers video message to the Vol nation
- Oklahoma schools partner for tornado recovery shirt