Al Groh out as Georgia Tech defensive coordinator
|Written by Chris Vannini|
Posted by: Chris Vannini on October 8, 2012
Georgia Tech announced Monday that Al Groh has been relieved of his duties as the program's defensive coordinator.
Paul Johnson hasn't named who will fill the role, but a press conference is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET.
"The Institute has decided to go in a different direction, which I respect," Groh said in a statement. "I appreciate all the help and input from (assistant defensive coaches) Charles Kelly, Joe Speed and Andy McCollum, and the effort of all the players. I aimed to give the best that I had every day. It's been an honor to be a part of the legacy of Georgia Tech football. I feel positive that this is a good time in life to move on to a new situation."
Groh was in his third year at Tech, and his 45th season in coaching overall, but the Yellow Jackets were allowing 431 yards per game on defense and sitting at 2-4 overall and 1-3 in the ACC.
Groh had replaced current Ole Miss defensive coordinator Dave Wommack, who was let go at Tech following the 2009 season. For whatever reason, Johnson can't seem to find the right guy for his defense.
Georgia Tech is OFF this week. The Yellow Jackets travel to Boston College in two weeks. They finish with BYU, at Maryland, at North Carolina, Duke, at Georgia.
UPDATE: Paul Johnson stated during the afternoon press conference, "We're not giving up on this season. That's why we made the change now." Kelly will fill in as the interim coordinator. He's currently the secondary coach. The other assistants will shift their roles a little bit, with Johnson also spending more time with the defense.
Recent Articles on CoachingSearch.com
Chris Vannini is the lead writer for CoachingSearch.com and has covered Michigan State sports for The State News, The Oakland Press and MLive.com. He writes a weekly column for the Detroit Free Press on behalf of SB Nation. Vannini lives in Big Ten country, so his foot speed is far from SEC caliber, but his pulse on coaches is hard to match. Be sure to follow @CoachingBuzz on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Al Borges: 'People don't understand the value of a failed play'
- College football off-season studies
- Michigan State AD: Hiring Dantonio was 'scientific' not just 'I like that guy'
- 100 days until college football
- South Carolina football nails season-ticket promo
- Clemson releases hype video 100 days from opener
- Ed Cunningham: I would have trashed that coach on social media
- Dan Mullen: I'm more worried about winning than the number of games
- 100 days out: Butch Jones delivers video message to the Vol nation
- Oklahoma schools partner for tornado recovery shirt