Posted by: Pete Roussel on December 10, 2012
Western Kentucky has hired Bobby Petrino as head coach.
The story was first reported by the Bowling Green Daily News.
Western Kentucky becomes the tenth athletic department this coaching carousel season to turn to a proven head coach to lead their program.
Arkansas, Cal, Auburn, USF, Boston College, Colorado, Cincinnati, Purdue, and NC State have each hired head coaches.
Only Idaho and Kentucky chose to hire coordinators. The Vandals chose Paul Petrino, while Kentucky hired Florida State defensive coordinator Mark Stoops.
Northern Illinois promoted offensive coordinator / offensive line coach Rod Carey to head coach.
Petrino will open the 2013 season against Kentucky in Nashville. One week later, the Hilltoppers play at Tennessee.
Stay tuned to the Coaching Search Ticker for more updates.-----------
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to email@example.com
- Does Erik Spoelstra feel lucky to have a Game 7?
- Scott Frost: When Chip Kelly left, this team could have run itself
- Al Golden: 'There are great days ahead'
- NCAA grants waiver to Ole Miss assistant to monitor throwing mechanics of injured QB
- Finebaum: Johnny Manziel is trending towards becoming a punch line
- Does an experienced offensive line lead to success?
- Paul Johnson counting on Ted Roof
- Photo: UCLA says it is 'Linebacker U'
- Mike Zimmer on Hard Knocks: 'Sometimes I'm portrayed as a lunatic'
- Ellis Johnson explains why he's not concerned about the effect of Malzahn's tempo