Monday afternoon one-liners
Posted by: Pete Roussel on June 11, 2012
Derek Dooley climbed 6,593 feet with 40 players on Saturday: Members of the Tennessee Volunteers football team climbed to the top of Mount Leconte on Saturday morning. Mount Leconte has the third-highest peak in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park at 6,593 feet, but when measuring from its immediate base to its highest peak, it can be considered the tallest mountain in the Eastern United States, rising 5,301 feet from its base in Gatlinburg.
Dooley didn't wear orange pants, but he did rock an orange shirt. (See photo)
- Brady Hoke questions media coverage of recruiting. Hoke told AnnArbor.com writer Nick Baumgardner, "Tom Brady probably would have been a two-star guy. He turned out OK, I think."
- Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank urges Maryland fans to rally behind Randy Edsall. Plank told the Baltimore Sun, "Randy Edsall is a good, strong, decent man who is working his tail off on behalf of the University of Maryland. And there are more people that want to spend their days burning things down than building it up. At least just stop rooting against him. You know, give the guy a chance."
- Barry Switzer sure did speak his mind to SBNation. Switzer believes you better be able to run it to win the national championship. The former Oklahoma coach added, "Oklahoma doesn't have a play in their playbook designed where the quarterback carries the football. That's their philosophy. They've got an I-back to handle the ball back there. If they had a misdirection or option play where the quarterback carried the ball, it would really help their rushing offense, but they're not committed to that. They don't have that quarterback. 98 percent of their offense, he throws the football or hands it off to someone. He better be on that day, though, or else they've got problems."
- Brian Kelly was one of the driving forces behind the development of the course called, "Career Development through Community Engagement." A ton of Irish football players are enrolled in the class this summer. See the video for details.
- Here's the latest on the Coaching Search Ticker.
Photo credit: UT Athletics
Recent articles on CoachingSearch.com
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to email@example.com
- Video: Gary Andersen grills burgers at Culver's
- Graphic: Alabama's 1st-round draft picks under Saban
- MWC commissioner: I don't think playoff will stay at 4 teams
- Late Spring All-Unemployed Coaches' Team
- Hugh Freeze: 'The only thing we have equal with Alabama is...'
- Is this a new Eastern Michigan helmet?
- Herb Hand lets Butch Jones know about hateful tweets
- Andre Ware unloads on Mike Gundy
- Chart: Big Ten assistant salaries by position
- Kirk Ferentz describes his one moment of doubt