Steve Spurrier not up for 'grinding,' says it's golf season
Posted by: Pete Roussel on January 4, 2013
Steve Spurrier says that it's golf season.
On Friday morning, Spurrier explained to Dan Patrick why he's wired differently than most coaches in today's era of 'grinding' in the coaching profession.
Spurrier stated on the Dan Patrick Radio Show, "Some people really love grinding, watching tape. Some people love football year round. I am not one of those guys. I like grinding from August to the end of that bowl game the other day. Now, it's golf season and travel around, hit the beach a little bit, go up to the Preakness. There are other things in life besides grinding football."
Spurrier once made the jump to the Washington Redskins. It's a decision Chip Kelly will soon make. Do I stay in college football or jump to the NFL?
Of Kelly, Spurrier said, "It appears that's what he wants to do. Somebody asked me why I went the NFL, I said I thought after you coach college 10 or 15 years that's what you're supposed to do. We just didn't quite put a team together. I am sort of glad it didn't work out. This has been a lot of fun (at South Carolina)."
What about Nick Saban?
Spurrier said, "Nick has built a super dynasty down there."
"I don't know if (Saban) will take that Cleveland job or not. He's done just about everything you can do in college football. Whether or not the challenge to win Super Bowl hits him, who knows? If you'd already won three or four national championships, how many would you want to win before you tried to win a Super Bowl? He's already done all you can in college football."
Stay tuned to the Coaching Search Ticker for all the latest coaching job transactions.
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Photo: Michigan State coaches send welcome letter to recent commit
- Steve Sarkisian: 'It has taken a long time to recruit'
- Troy Calhoun describes his tough recruiting pitch at Air Force
- College football study: Which teams play the most snaps per game?
- Photo: Nick Saban looks at his Alabama Sports Hall of Fame display
- Graphic: Wyoming sells MWC's record in BCS games
- James Franklin on schedule: Things are great, why change?
- Nick Saban on preparing for Manziel: "That's an ongoing process."
- Eastern Michigan offers skydiving with Ron English for fundraising
- Dabo Swinney: 'We're not playing the SEC, we're playing LSU'