Western Michigan coaching search updates
Posted by: Chris Vannini on Saturday January 07, 2017
This page will update throughout Western Michigan's coaching search with the latest news and reports. Bookmark this page, and stay tuned to the Coaching Search Ticker.
- Tim Lester has been named head coach.
- The Detroit News reports WMU defensive coordinator Ed Pinkham will interview for the job, and Michigan running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley appears to be out of the mix.
- The Detroit News reports Michigan offensive coordinator Tim Drevno is interested in the WMU head coaching job, and other coaches who could be possibilities include Georgia defensive coordinator Mel Tucker and former 49ers defensive backs coach Jeff Hafley.
- The Lansing State Journal reports former Purdue QB coach Tim Lester was on campus today, and Northwestern running backs coach Matt MacPherson will be on Thursday.
- The Detroit News’ Tony Paul tweets, “Sense is WMU job could come down to Tim Lester and Tyrone Wheatley, with Lester the front runner.” Paul adds that there has been no contact with Les Miles, and there’s been no sense the school reached out to Grand Valley State’s Matt Mitchell or Ferris State’s Tony Annese.
- Some other names to watch could include former Purdue quarterbacks coach Tim Lester and current Michigan running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley.
- Here are 5 factors to keep in mind for the WMU job.
- ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg lists some potential candidates including Grand Valley State head coach Matt Mitchell, Northwestern running backs coach Mat MacPherson, Michigan State offensive line coach Mark Staten and Western Michigan special teams coordinator Rob Wenger.
- Athletic director Kathy Beauregard says she’s talked to several AD’s about potential candidates, including Northwestern AD Jim Phillips. Here is more about her plans.
- P.J. Fleck has accepted the Minnesota head coaching job.