News, Notes & Quotes - Nov. 10
Posted by: Chris Vannini on Thursday November 10, 2016
- The first school to hire a new head coach in this coaching carousel will do so before the regular season is even over. You don’t see that often.
Jeff Tedford was named Fresno State head coach on Thursday and will be introduced on Friday. Tedford, who has spent this season as a Washington consultant, will assume duties after the regular season. But he has a huge head start for recruiting because of how early the hire was made. The current class has 11 players and is ranked No. 4.
Could another school make a hire before he regular season ends? Reports indicate Butch Davis is the front-runner at FIU right now, and USA Today reports FIU’s search activity has essentially halted at the moment.
Tedford’s impending hire makes for four open FBS head coaching jobs, but more will come when the season ends. This carousel may not appear to be very busy yet, but you can always count on a couple surprises, and you never know the domino effect from that.
- Nick Saban was asked if playing a late game at LSU followed by an 11 a.m. local kick this week causes any problems, and he was almost offended by the notion.
“I don’t know that an 11 o’clock kick means much of anything, unless it means something to you,” Saban said. “It’s the same old thing. The game starts at 11 o’clock. Everybody knows it starts at 11 o’clock. It means we have pregame meal four hours before the game. It means you have to get ready to play at 11 o’clock. I don’t know what last week’s game has to do with playing at 11 o’clock.
“If you’re a good player, you’re ready to play when you have to play. When the whistle blows, you’re ready to play. Sometimes, we practice in the morning, sometimes at night, sometimes in the afternoon. I don’t expect that to determine how a guy plays. If he’s a competitor and he’s working on trying to get better and play his best. I can’t answer that question, because I really don’t know.”
The Tide host Mississippi State.
- Georgia State has released renderings of the plan to convert Turner Field from a pro baseball stadium to a college football stadium.
The new plan will have 23,000 seats, with a possible 10,000 more, and the school is looking to spend about $53 million. Here’s the design.
- What did Hugh Freeze think of Nick Saban using former great Tide players on the scout team?
"Hate I didn't think of it first," Freeze said. "It's something that I think is thinking out of the box, and just this week I've tried to find out the exact rules that allow you to do that and the parameters to which you have to operate.
“So, we will start formulating our list of former players to do that also that is permissible."
- Butch Jones says this season has made him a better coach, regarding 18 starters missing at least one game this year.
“It’s great illustration of sudden change, and what can happen despite the greatest laid plans,” Jones said. “It’s made me a better person and a better coach, being able to deal with the adversity and having the resolve.
“This football team for the most part has been very consistent, and I’ve enjoyed being around them every day.”
The Vols host Kentucky on Saturday.
- Take a behind-the-scenes look at Ole Miss’ win over Georgia Southern, including Hugh Freeze’s pregame, halftime and postgame speeches.
- News, Notes & Quotes - March 23
- News, Notes & Quotes - March 22
- News, Notes & Quotes - March 22
- News, Notes & Quotes - March 21
- News, Notes & Quotes - March 20
- News, Notes & Quotes - March 17
- News, Notes & Quotes - March 16
- News, Notes & Quotes - March 15
- News, Notes & Quotes - March 14
- News, Notes & Quotes - March 13