News, Notes & Quotes - June 10
Posted by: Chris Vannini on Friday June 10, 2016
- Mark Dantonio knows Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh continue to make news, but heading into his 10th season in East Lansing, Dantonio doesn’t need to be splashy, even as he (quietly) takes part in some satellite camps, too.
“People want to talk about the future, and they talk about the past, but not many want to deal with the present,” Dantonio told The Detroit News. “I’m concerned about what we’re doing. Now. There are a lot of great programs in the Midwest, and we’re gonna do what we can to be one of the best. We don’t need to change any plans.”
He added, “Continuity has been our greatest accomplishment — on the field, off the field, and in the classroom.”
- Two FCS conferences will propose legislation for a permanent 12th game in FCS.
The Ohio Valley and Southland are behind the proposal, which would call for the weekend prior to Labor Day to become available. It would give more opportunities for games against FBS opponents later and help teams secure a sixth home game for more revenue.
Currently, 12 games are only allowed when there are 13 weeks between Labor Day weekend and the weekend prior to Thanksgiving, which will only happen four times over the next 15 years.
- Jon Gruden doesn't want muscular quarterbacks. Brady Quinn recently joined The Dan Patrick Show and recounted what Gruden told him leading up to the 2007 draft.
"We're sitting in Charlie Weis' office and we're going through and he put up a picture of me from the combine. My dad was a Marine; he had me working out at a young age," Quinn said. "I was eating Total and Product 19 by the time I was 4. So I liked to work out, and I worked hard. So I think it was part genetics and part that I ate a pretty decent diet. So I tend to look a little bit muscle-bound in my photo and he's kind of looking at me going, 'What are you doing here man? Trying to get a little more on your traps, a little more on your biceps, I don't want my quarterbacks to look like this.'
"And then he flipped to a picture of Jamarcus Russell from the combine. And he said 'I don't want you to look like this either.'"
What did Gruden want a QB to look like? Charlie Frye.
"He said 'This is what a quarterback is supposed to look like. You know, a guy you see every day, you'd like to go out and have a beer with. You need to look more like this guy.'"
- Two SEC assistants had a fun back-and-forth about the Miami-Florida State rivalry.
New Kentucky wide receivers coach Lamar Thomas played at Miami from 1989-92, and new Mississippi State cornerbacks coach Terrell Buckley played at FSU from 1989-91.
After some friendly jabs about age and weight, Thomas wrote to Buckley, “Meet me on the field 4hrs before the game. And we will get it on!!! Just like old times !! ‘Touchdown Lamar Thomas!!’”
Buckley wrote, “You can't even get off a Jam with that Bad Hip!!! Can you say Jaaaaaaaaam!!! We don't have to wait until the next week it's on in Miami..!! One on One for Car Papers!!! And you know happens when the Papers are on the Line!”
- First-year Oregon defensive coordinator Brady Hoke finally has chosen a position to coach in the fall: defensive ends.
Hoke spent the spring as a walk-around coordinator and worked with every position. His background is with defensive line, so working with the ends alongside defensive line coach Ron Aiken makes sense.
- Clemson’s latest update on its football building construction includes the kickers.
- News, Notes & Quotes - April 28
- News, Notes & Quotes - April 27
- News, Notes & Quotes - April 26
- News, Notes & Quotes - April 25
- News, Notes & Quotes - April 24
- News, Notes & Quotes - April 21
- News, Notes & Quotes - April 20
- News, Notes & Quotes - April 19
- Jon Gruden: 'If you worry about that, you'll become a freaking basketcase'
- News, Notes & Quotes - April 18