News, Notes & Quotes - Aug. 18
Posted by: Chris Vannini on Thursday August 18, 2016
- Sonny Dykes and Cal will take 105 players on the trip to Australia against Hawaii.
That’s the entire roster. It’ll be valuable experience for a young team, and as Dykes told SiriusXM College Sports Nation, the only road game experience for some guys.
“We’re going to be able to travel all 105 kids that came to camp, so we’ll take a full roster,” he said. “There’s a lot of kids that are going to go on the trip that may never travel to another out-of-town football game, guys that are down the roster. It’s a great opportunity for them.”
We are nine days away from this game, which kicks off the college football season on Friday, Aug. 26.
- Jim Harbaugh’s new contract addendum is the latest unique form of compensation schools offer, and it’ll pay him $9 million in 2016
In his first season, Harbaugh earned a $5 million salary and $2 million signing bonus. In June, his contract was adjusted to include a $2 million annual payment into a life insurance premium. Harbaugh can take a loan or withdraw the money at any time.
For 2016, the first payment came at the start of the date (June 3), and each successive payment comes on Dec. 6, meaning he’ll technically be paid $9 million in 2016.
In 2014, Rich Rodriguez’s new deal at Arizona included 175,000 shares of a master limited partnership related to the oil industry. As schools look to further compensate their coaches, they’re turning to different means than straight cash.
- Georgia reporters don’t love Kirby Smart’s tight media policies, but he doesn’t care.
“I’m glad they’re ruffled,” Smart told 680 The Fan. “I’m ruffled by some of their articles.”
It was partly said in jest, but it's a reminder The Saban Way is the new norm in Athens.
- Miami had to move a scrimmage from the morning to 6 p.m. on Wednesday due to weather. Think Mark Richt wants that indoor facility soon?
The heat and the rain makes practice difficult at times in south Florida. There are plans in the works for Miami, but nothing official yet. Richt didn’t get one at Georgia until he left. Will Miami lose any practice time during the season?
As for the scrimmage, Richt told reporters, "We came a long way. I'm doing better too, I'm putting them in a better position. Going against Manny (Diaz), a lot of it is difficult to deal with. … We did a little better job against the things he has been throwing at us. On the other hand, we don't want to spend the rest of our lives scheming each other. It's time to start moving on, which is about this time in the fall."
The stadium is almost done, too. It’s now officially called Hard Rock Stadium, and it looks quite nice.
- Clay Helton is excited for what special teams coordinator John Baxter brings to USC in 2016.
Baxter was at USC from 2010-14 and spent last year at Michigan.
“Besides Clancy Pendergast, the next best recruit I signed was John Baxter,” Helton told SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “I had the opportunity to work with John in our first stint here and was able to talk him out of Michigan and get him back here. One of the finest teachers I’ve ever met in the game. He does a tremendous of job of teaching the technique and fundamentals. Sometimes, the biggest error in special teams is teaching scheme and not teaching the technique and fundamentals to win the job.
“John teaches. He’s brought a great culture to those teams. I’m expecting big things. Last time he was here, we blocked 25 kicks. I told him I’ll take that right now.”
- Todd Bowles played under Bruce Arians and coached with him at multiple stops. One lesson stuck out more than any other.
“He’s highly intelligent, very aggressive no matter what. In case of doubt, blitz,” Bowles said on The Rich Eisen Show. “That’s always Bruce. In case of doubt, blitz or throw it deep. If you make a call, don’t be afraid. Live with it. That style, along with his intelligence, he taught me not to blink. Being around Bruce enough, he’s not going to blink.”
- Spend a day in the life of an Iowa State assistant by following linebackers coach Tyson Veidt.
- News, Notes & Quotes - Jan. 20
- News, Notes & Quotes - Jan. 19
- News, Notes & Quotes - Jan. 18
- Clay Helton shares his interview advice, recounts interview with Lane Kiffin
- News, Notes & Quotes - Jan. 17
- News, Notes & Quotes - Jan. 16
- News, Notes & Quotes - Jan. 16
- News, Notes & Quotes - Jan. 12
- News, Notes & Quotes - Jan. 11
- News, Notes & Quotes - Clemson beats Alabama