FIU coaching search updates
Posted by: Chris Vannini on Tuesday October 04, 2016
This page will update throughout FIU’s coaching search with the latest news and reports. Bookmark this page, and stay tuned to the Coaching Search Ticker:
- Butch Davis is the new FIU head coach.
- USA Today’s Dan Wolken reports “the choice is up to Davis at this point whether to accept the job,” and that FIU is not conducting any coaching search activities right now.
- Asked about the FIU job on SiriusXM, Butch Davis says, “Almost everybody knows, if the right opportunity came along, I’d love to get back into coaching. I miss the kids. I miss practices. I miss being in the locker room with them. I miss all the recruiting stuff. When you’ve done something that your entire life, almost everybody would love it. You talk to guys that aren’t coaching right now, like Rick Neuheisel, if the right opportunity came along, I’d absolutely love to get back in. It’s all rumors and speculation, but certainly Florida International has tremendous upside potential, and you never know. We’ll have to wait and see what possibilities might present. If the right opportunity comes along, I would love to coach again.”
- The Sporting News’ Alex Marvez reports Butch Davis is the “front-runner” for the FIU head coaching job.
- USA Today’s Dan Wolken reports FIU athletic director Pete Garcia has “legitimate interest” in Butch Davis for the head coaching job. Garcia and Davis previously worked together at Miami (FL) and the Cleveland Browns.
Here are 8 factors to keep in mind for the search.
- Fox Sports’ Dieter Kurtenbach lists 9 possible candidates for the job, including Randy Shannon, Joker Phillips, Tim Brewster, Butch Davis, Eddie Gran, Billy Gonzales, James Coley, Geoff Collins and… Mark Stoops?
Bruce Feldman adds Manny Diaz, Jedd Fisch and Larry Scott as possible names.