Chart: Teams with the largest increase in takeaways in 2016
Posted by: Chris Vannini on Thursday January 26, 2017
- Five of the largest increases were also among the most improved scoring defenses: UCF, Eastern Michigan, Idaho, SMU, Kansas State.
- 10 of the 13 largest increases reached a bowl game (SMU, Tulane, Cincinnati did not).
- The top six improved teams reached a bowl game in 2016 and did not in 2015, as well as Troy.
- Four teams among the largest increases will have a new defensive coordinator in 2016: Wyoming, Wake Forest, Cincinnati and Mississippi State. At Wake Forest, Mike Elko left for the Notre Dame DC job.
- Three teams among the largest decreases will have a new defensive coordinator, but all three had head coaching changes: Fresno State, UConn and Houston.
- UConn and Akron were the only teams among the largest takeaway deceases who were also among the largest scoring D increases.
- 7 of the 11 largest takeaway decreases did not reach a bowl game (Fresno State, Utah State, Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, Akron, UConn and Michigan State). Of those 7, six made a bowl game in 2015 (Fresno the only to miss both years)
- Arkansas State, NIU, Akron, Michigan State, Houston and Boise State were all in the top 12 in takeaways in 2015. Michigan State went from No. 9 in takeaways in 2015 to No. 112 in 2016. They went from the College Football Playoff to 3-9.
2017 offseason studies
Most improved scoring offenses
Most improved scoring defenses
Most improved rushing offenses
Most improved rushing defenses
Most improved 3rd down, TO margin, red zone